Sunday 24 February 2013

Evalation and Presentation


The brief for this project was quite open, you had to enter competitions but the competitions are ones that have specific briefs and open ones. I knew from the beginning I wanted to go with an open one.
I decided to call my project ‘dispersion’ and I started taking photos for primary research straight away as in the previous projects this is something I didn’t have enough of and I didn’t do soon enough. I began dropping ink into water and documenting how it dispersed. I also added oil, petrol and Clingfilm for different effects.
After I had taken my initial photographs I tried to think of different ways I could make things disperse, while searching the internet I came across a technique that uses sharpie pens, fabric and rubbing alcohol. This gave a different effect all together to the photographs, I much preferred the photographs I took of this technique while it was dispersing as opposed to the final fabrics.
Both sets of these photographs played a big part in my project, some of them were strong enough to use as a print on their own and others were layered with other elements for either their texture or contents.
My next step was to start creating more textures and drawings. I did this with paints, watercolours and bleach. I then layered these 3 techniques on Photoshop to create different effects and prints.
As I began to put these prints onto flats I came to abit of a dead end and need inspiration this is when I did my pattern inspiration board. This gave me new and fresh ideas. I also hired out a projector to help me with scale and composition. These two things gave me the inspiration I needed to carry my project forward.
I made a few sets of flats before deciding that I didn’t think the flats were doing anything for the garment from this I then started to displace my prints. I found this really helpful and more realistic.
I found it hard making my work it when entering competitions. When I first entered threadless I was taken back by the fact they don’t print your fabric and then make the garment from this, they use more of a screen printing technique onto already made garments. This was a problem as I had always planned that my garments would be made from printed farbics. Nevertheless I entered a t-shirt. I later entered a jumper that I was much more happy with; this is shown in one of my boards in the previous blog post. I had put a lot more thought into it and my project had come on leaps and bounds since my previous entry. I wish the feedback I received would have been better quality as this may have given me new ideas in my project.
I am pleased with my final outcomes and feel that I managed my time in this project better than I normally do. I have completed every task I set myself to do and I have not skipped any corners. I wish I would have used illustrator more to build more skills but it wasn’t relevant to my project.
Within the next couple of weeks I am going to focus on getting my CV and examples of my work out to as many companies as possible to try and sort out work experience for the summer.
In this project I have learnt that time management is key, I took my photographs earlier than normal which got the ball rolling and I went in to uni most days as a result of this my workload towards the end of the project wasn’t as big as usual.